Client/Server Windows 31 Powerbuilder and WATCOM

From: Brian Vink <brianv_at_watcom.on.ca>
Date: 14 Jul 1993 09:45:28 -0500

>>In article <742260289snz_at_pro-data.demon.co.uk> Chrisj_at_pro-data.demon.co.uk writes:
>>>I don't suppose you know anything about Powerbuilder's database.
>>>Is it going to be upgradable to multi-user client/server?

>>... Talking to the PB rep, my impression is
>>that Client/Server apps can be built using the Watcom, then later used
>>with other databases such as Sybase/Oracle, but *I think* one must use
>>the lowest common denominator available to both DBMS engines. So I
>>imagine one could write an application as a remote developer that
>>assumed all the data integrity rules will eventually be enforced by the
>>database engine, and when the application is then ported to a Sybase/Oracle
>>type DBMS, it would be fine. I'm definitely not an expert on this, though.

The single-user version of the WATCOM SQL database is going to be bundled with version 3.0 of PowerBuilder. Therefore, you have everything you need to develop single-user client/server applications in one package. You can then purchase the WATCOM SQL Network Server Edition to have a full-blown multi-user SQL client/server database.

Brian Vink
WATCOM
brianv_at_watcom.on.ca Received on Wed Jul 14 1993 - 16:45:28 CEST

Original text of this message