Re: client/server ms windows 3.1 applications development

From: <westrich_at_bingo.ncc.umn.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1993 22:14:57 GMT

In article <742260289snz_at_pro-data.demon.co.uk> Chrisj_at_pro-data.demon.co.uk writes:

>>Version 3.0 of Powerbuilder will have a standalone database option. I
>>think it will cost around $1500 for PB plus the database.
>>
>I don't suppose you know anything about Powerbuilder's database. Is it
>going to be an Admiral product or are they pinching it from somewhere?
>Is it going to be upgradable to multi-user client/server?

Watcom SQL is one option (for PB's standalone database) and I believe XDB may be another option. Talking to the PB rep, my impression is that Client/Server apps can be built using the Watcom, then later used with other databases such as Sybase/Oracle, but *I think* one must use the lowest common denominator available to both DBMS engines. So I imagine one could write an application as a remote developer that assumed all the data integrity rules will eventually be enforced by the database engine, and when the application is then ported to a Sybase/Oracle type DBMS, it would be fine. I'm definitely not an expert on this, though. Anyone else have any insight on this?

--
Brian Westrich
Nutrition Coordinating Center (NCC)     internet: westrich_at_keystone.ncc.umn.edu