Re: How to move UNIX password into Oracle password

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_exlog.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 93 15:00:27 GMT

In article <sjsC9wqpC.5tF_at_netcom.com> sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:

>Anyone know how I can systematiclly move the OS (UNIX) user passwords into
>the corresponding OPS$ Oracle accounts password def. I want the two to
>be the same and periodically running some program which kept them in sync
>would be VERY good.

First you dont need passwords on ops$accounts. In fact i use the password field as a cheap comment field by using: grant connect to ops$accounts identified by values 'FOO USER';

But that didn't really answer your question.

given that:
1) both the unix/oracle password are encrypted via one way functions 2) they are not the same function.

I dont see any way of doing this with out forceing the user to change both when she changes one.

The most practical way of doing this would be take a hacked version of passwd that does a pro*c call to change the oracle password when the unix password is changed.

There are about a million problem with this idea that would have to be worked out. but the bottom line is that once the two passwords are out of sync you can't sync them up w/o changing them both.

You could do something silly like keep the unix pwd online and run a program the do the update in oracle later. While the code would be much easyier I think we can all agree that this would be a "BAD" thing.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		Baker-Huges Inteq, Inc
Oracle Database Administrator 			lparsons_at_exlog.com