Re: How to move UNIX password into Oracle password

From: Stephen Schow <sjs_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1993 17:06:40 GMT

Ok...since about a buzillion people E-mailed me to tell me that you don't need a password for OPS$ accounts(since the user just types '/' and it just works)....I thought I would explain WHY I need a unique Oracle password.

The client/server tools such as ClearAccess which use SQL*NET to contact Oracle bypass UNIX altogether. They need the Oracle password to let the user in. Obviously, it will save us lots of admin time of we can just make sure that the current UNIX password can be used from those tools as well. IF thos users were ONLY using client/server tools, then we would just give them a NON-OPS$ account with a password assigned by us and NO UNIX login at all. But most of them use both HOST based forms as well as tools such as ClearAccess.

Apparantly there is no way to move the UNIX password into Oracle without causing major holes in security.

So I guess we are just going to have to maintain to passwords and make sure the users understand when to use which.

Steve Schow | But you don't have to use the claw, if you sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw...... (415) 354-4908 | Have I given you a clue......? | - Baloo the Bear