SQL*Forms on different keyboards (Sun type 3/4/5 & NCD X terminals)

From: Marc Mazuhelli <mazu_at_roselin.DMI.USherb.CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 02:43:20 GMT

Hi there,

I am a (pretty) experienced Unix system administrator (we have a network with more than 20 Sun SPARCstations and servers, 8 Sun/3s running XKernel, 14 NCD X terminals and a bunch of VT100-style ASCII terminals).

I am a very novice Oracle system administrator... (we're running Oracle 6.0.36 (or 6.0.something) with SQL*Forms30.

One of my most annoying problems we have right now is the way SQL*Forms handles the keyboard mappings of all these different machines.

Right now things work OK on the VT100 (nothing special to tell to SQL*Forms, it can detect the VT100) and on the SPARCstations that have a type 4 keyboard when the user is in OpenWindows and in a shelltool or cmdtool (for this we say sqlforms30 -c sun:sun).

The problems are the following:

  1. SPARCs with type 5 keyboards;
  2. any SPARC when a xterm is used instead of a shell/cmdtool;
  3. the NCD Xterminals, whether in shell/cmdtools or xterms; (most of our NCDs have the standard 101-key "PC" keyboard)
  4. our old Sun/3s with type 3 keyboards that run XKernel.

I could live without 2), and for 3), a partial solution with just the shell/cmdtool OR xterm would be enough. 1) is getting very annoying since my own machine is a Sun with a type 5 keyboard...

As for 4), I read in some doc that the "sun" resource should work with both type 3 and type 4 keyboards; I have to try it from a shell/cmdtool on those machines.

I found a the following files in $ORACLE_HOME/forms30/admin/resource:

        xtermncd.r xtermncd.rO xtermsun.r xtermsun.rO

but I don't know what to do with them... I didn't find any mention of them in the docs. I tried a few combinations like:

        sqlforms -c xtermsun:xtermsun

but I always get error messages...

I found a reference to a "common interface" named something like "F12" but it doesn't seem to be supported on Suns.

By the way, don't suggest we use olsqlforms; the version we have seems pretty buggy...

I hope others that had the same problem can give me hints on a reliable and elegant solution... Pointers to the (many volumes of) documentation are welcome...

Just a final word about the fact that I know Oracle*term exists, but it seems pretty complicated and I would rather use something that already exists (if possible) instead of "reinventing the whell"...

Thank you very much.

Marc.

--

{ Marc Mazuhelli | analyst in charge of computer labs }

{ marc.mazuhelli_at_dmi.USherb.CA | Department of math and comp. science }
{ <this space intentionally ... | Universite de Sherbrooke }
{ ... left (almost) blank> | Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada }