Re: Drdos SStor & Oracle

From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 7 Jul 93 04:51:18 GMT

In article <1993Jul6.221005.4009_at_nntpd2.cxo.dec.com> puryear_at_dsps04.enet.dec.com () writes:

>I am trying to install Oracle v6 on my pc. I am running DRDOS 6.
>Everything goes ok until I try to IOR or create the Database. I then
>get a 386:protection mode error.
>
>I bet, Oracle will not run on a Superstored (SSTOR) disk. Can anyone
>tell me yes or no on the disk. It seems like I remember that Oracle
>does direct writes to the disk. If this is ture then (boom) no compressed
>disk software will work. 8-[
>
>Is this true?
>
>..Scott Puryear 8-]
>

>Another Install Victum!

Actually you are not quite correct in your statements here due to the following reasons:

  1. Oracle on DOS does NOT write directly to disk. It uses the regular function calls for this.
  2. The 386 Protected mode error is probably occuring due to some memory manager (Eg: EMM386 or QEMM) which is interfering with SQL*PME due to a wrong machine type chosen or an interrupt or xmmitr problem. I doubt it has anything to do with compression.
  3. Oracle does not support the use of compression for datafiles, logfiles and control files. This is because the RDBMS pre-allocates disk space whenever one of these files is created and expects the Operating System to guarantee the availability of the said amount of space when needed. With compression the OS can no longer guarantee this. This is easily explained by an example.

Assume I have 10 megs free on the disk (assume compression is being used so actually I have only approx 5 megs). So I can create an 8 meg tablespace with no problems. This is initially empty so highly compressible. So now my OS tells me I still have (lets say) 7 megs free. Now I fill up my disk with all those files that always show up whenever theres any free space on my disk. Now I have only one meg free (actually half). Then I start my import job into the new tablespace knowing I still have 5 megs free there. And boom - you can see why it exploded in your face sending you into never never land !!!!!

4) Oracle ver 6 does not have any IOR command. It uses SQLDBA for all the stuff that IOR did in ver 5.

Hope this helps

Shiraz - Speaking for myself here.

--
Shiraz Kanga (skanga_at_oracle.com) Tel: (415)506-5412 Fax: (415)506-7822
Analyst -- Desktop Tools Group -- Worldwide Technical Support -- 3OP11