Re: Drdos SStor & Oracle

From: David Criswell <dcriswel_at_oracle.uucp>
Date: 7 Jul 93 20:27:23 GMT

In article <1993Jul6.221005.4009_at_nntpd2.cxo.dec.com> puryear_at_dsps04.enet.dec.com () writes:

>I am trying to install Oracle v6 on my pc. I am running DRDOS 6.
>Everything goes ok until I try to IOR or create the Database. I then
>get a 386:protection mode error.
>
>I bet, Oracle will not run on a Superstored (SSTOR) disk. Can anyone
>tell me yes or no on the disk. It seems like I remember that Oracle
>does direct writes to the disk. If this is ture then (boom) no compressed
>disk software will work. 8-[

I suspect this will not work, since Oracle needs to be able to preallocate disk space and once it does so, the OS needs to be able to guarantee the availability of this space. Disk compressors can't do this. I don't know about SSTOR, Stacker is known not to work, and I've heard that DoubleDisk doesn't work. I suspect this is true of all compression software.

Dave Criswell
Not speaking for Oracle Corporation Received on Wed Jul 07 1993 - 22:27:23 CEST

Original text of this message