Re: SQL*Forms on different keyboards (Sun type 3/4/5 & NCD X terminals)

From: Nilo Segura <nilo_at_orion.cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 07:54:29 GMT

In article <MAZU.93Jul6224320_at_roselin.DMI.USherb.CA>, mazu_at_roselin.DMI.USherb.CA (Marc Mazuhelli) writes:
> Hi there,
>
> I am a (pretty) experienced Unix system administrator (we have a network
> with more than 20 Sun SPARCstations and servers, 8 Sun/3s running XKernel,
> 14 NCD X terminals and a bunch of VT100-style ASCII terminals).
>
> I am a very novice Oracle system administrator... (we're running Oracle
> 6.0.36 (or 6.0.something) with SQL*Forms30.
>
> One of my most annoying problems we have right now is the way SQL*Forms
> handles the keyboard mappings of all these different machines.
>
> Right now things work OK on the VT100 (nothing special to tell to SQL*Forms,
> it can detect the VT100) and on the SPARCstations that have a type 4
> keyboard when the user is in OpenWindows and in a shelltool or cmdtool
> (for this we say sqlforms30 -c sun:sun).
>
> The problems are the following:
>
> 1) SPARCs with type 5 keyboards;
> 2) any SPARC when a xterm is used instead of a shell/cmdtool;
> 3) the NCD Xterminals, whether in shell/cmdtools or xterms;
> (most of our NCDs have the standard 101-key "PC" keyboard)
> 4) our old Sun/3s with type 3 keyboards that run XKernel.
>
> I could live without 2), and for 3), a partial solution with just the
> shell/cmdtool OR xterm would be enough. 1) is getting very annoying
> since my own machine is a Sun with a type 5 keyboard...
>
> As for 4), I read in some doc that the "sun" resource should work with
> both type 3 and type 4 keyboards; I have to try it from a shell/cmdtool
> on those machines.
>
> I found a the following files in $ORACLE_HOME/forms30/admin/resource:
>
> xtermncd.r xtermncd.rO xtermsun.r xtermsun.rO
>
> but I don't know what to do with them... I didn't find any mention of
> them in the docs. I tried a few combinations like:
>
> sqlforms -c xtermsun:xtermsun
>
> but I always get error messages...
>
> I found a reference to a "common interface" named something like "F12"
> but it doesn't seem to be supported on Suns.
>
> By the way, don't suggest we use olsqlforms; the version we have seems
> pretty buggy...
>
> I hope others that had the same problem can give me hints on a reliable
> and elegant solution... Pointers to the (many volumes of) documentation
> are welcome...
>
> Just a final word about the fact that I know Oracle*term exists, but it
> seems pretty complicated and I would rather use something that already
> exists (if possible) instead of "reinventing the whell"...
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Marc.
> --
> { Marc Mazuhelli | analyst in charge of computer labs }
> { marc.mazuhelli_at_dmi.USherb.CA | Department of math and comp. science }
> { <this space intentionally ... | Universite de Sherbrooke }
> { ... left (almost) blank> | Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada }

 What you should do is, to use Oracle*Terminal to see the mappings that are contained in the resource files. For the type 5 keyboard, Oracle provides  the file xtermsun5.r ( well, at least in V7 ), for V6 you can derive it from the xtermsun.r using Oracle*Terminal . BTW, for xtermsun the mappping is 'sun' no xtermsun so .. -c xtermsun:sun . If you have problems I can send you the xtermsun5.r file via e-mail . No clue about the NCD as we do not have such stuff around.

and use Oracle*Terminal is a great thing... ( not kidding .. )

enjoy.... Received on Wed Jul 07 1993 - 09:54:29 CEST

Original text of this message