Re: Novell/Oracle alliance

From: Richard Finkelstein <rfinkel_at_infochi.com>
Date: 29 Jun 1993 17:31:39 -0500

Richard Sullivan (rsulliva_at_.oracle.com) wrote:
: In article <741201033snz_at_hoxton.demon.co.uk> paul_at_hoxton.demo.co.uk writes:
: >In article <741114259snx_at_ubla.hamm.sub.org> udo_at_ubla.hamm.sub.org writes:
: >>In article <C972DG.4D2_at_mach1.wlu.ca> pberger_at_mach1.wlu.ca writes:
: >> > Have any of you Oracle gurus heard any information about the recent Oracle
: >> > Novell alliance?
: >> it's not a Novell /Orakle-only alliance. Novell is free to do the same
: >> with other RDBMS vendors.
: >
: >I can't see what all the fuss is about. It's all marketing hype - I used
: >Oracle 6 running as an NLM early last year. This is just Oracle 7 NLM.
: >[NLM = Netware Loadable Module]
: >
: >What use is an ``alliance'' under which neither party has special rights
: >or obligations?

: As an Oracle employee, even I could see the benefits of this type of alliance,
: even though I don't have all of the info as of yet. In the field, when doing
: a client-server setup, if I had a problem I had potentially 2 calls to make -
: the alliance will have a SPOC (single point of contact), hopefully being able
: to avoid the inevitable finger-point that can occur. I think It will work out
: well....

: My opinions are my own, and so on........
: Rick Sullivan

: rsulliva_at_us.oracle.com

I would agree Rick. I think that this agreement at least begins to address the problem of client/server support. It will be interesting to see how closely Oracle and Novell will work together in terms of support and future operating system/RDBMS development.

  • Rich -- Richard Finkelstein Voice: 312-549-8325 Performance Computing, Inc. Fax: 312-549-4824 Chicago, IL Mail: rfinkel_at_infochi.com