Re: Novell/Oracle alliance

From: Richard Sullivan <rsulliva_at_.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1993 22:21:13 GMT

In article <741201033snz_at_hoxton.demon.co.uk> paul_at_hoxton.demo.co.uk writes:
>In article <741114259snx_at_ubla.hamm.sub.org> udo_at_ubla.hamm.sub.org writes:
>>In article <C972DG.4D2_at_mach1.wlu.ca> pberger_at_mach1.wlu.ca writes:
>> > Have any of you Oracle gurus heard any information about the recent Oracle
>> > Novell alliance?
>> it's not a Novell /Orakle-only alliance. Novell is free to do the same
>> with other RDBMS vendors.
>
>I can't see what all the fuss is about. It's all marketing hype - I used
>Oracle 6 running as an NLM early last year. This is just Oracle 7 NLM.
>[NLM = Netware Loadable Module]
>
>What use is an ``alliance'' under which neither party has special rights
>or obligations?

As an Oracle employee, even I could see the benefits of this type of alliance, even though I don't have all of the info as of yet. In the field, when doing a client-server setup, if I had a problem I had potentially 2 calls to make - the alliance will have a SPOC (single point of contact), hopefully being able to avoid the inevitable finger-point that can occur. I think It will work out well....

My opinions are my own, and so on........ Rick Sullivan
rsulliva_at_us.oracle.com Received on Mon Jun 28 1993 - 00:21:13 CEST

Original text of this message