Re: SUN4, IPCS, two instances,....H.E.L.P!!

From: Ron Pool <ron_at_empire.cce.cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1993 17:01:57 GMT

Lloyd E Vancil (lev_at_ipxed5.nswses.navy.mil) wrote:
: Sun 4/ 490 server.. running Oracle 6.0.36.7.1 and
: attempting to bring Oracle 7 up.

: Install script crashes with a complaint about the
: number of semaphores....
: Take oracle 6 off line and oracle 7 plays..

: ipcs -s returned:

: IPC status from spcsed3 as of Mon May 17 14:56:08 1993
: T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP
: Semaphores:
: s 20 0x00000000 --ra-r----- oracle dba

: When Oracle 7 was running same result

: Question. Is oracle grabbing all of the available
: semaphores?

: Question. Where can I find info about the default
: values for semmnu, semume, semmns and semmni?

I ran into the same problem on a Sun SPARCstation 2. No matter how much I increased the sem... variables I was unable to install Oracle 7 while Oracle 6 was running. I finally tried shutting down Oracle 6 and then installing Oracle 7. The Oracle 6 install was successfull with Oracle 6 shutdown.

Once Oracle 7 was installed I started instances of both 6 and 7 at once and have seen no problems since.

Oracle technical support told me I should be able to install 7 with 6 running, but that seems not to be true. At least they seem to run together without problems.

Ron Pool; Electronic Technology Group; B-15 Wing Hall; Ithaca, NY 14853
Internet: ron_at_cce.cornell.edu