Re: SUN4, IPCS, two instances,....H.E.L.P!!

From: Peter van der Kooi <peter_at_ptt-iat.uucp>
Date: 18 May 1993 13:04:47 +0200

In article <30896_at_suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> lev_at_ipxed5.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) writes:

>number of semaphores....
>Take oracle 6 off line and oracle 7 plays..
>
>ipcs -s returned:
>
>IPC status from spcsed3 as of Mon May 17 14:56:08 1993
>T ID KEY MODE OWNER GROUP
>Semaphores:
>s 20 0x00000000 --ra-r----- oracle dba

>Question. Is oracle grabbing all of the available
>semaphores?

I don't know about this one, but you can get a better idea on the semaphore with

        ipcs -a
In the section semaphores you will see a column NSEMS (At least on my machine: HPux 8.0..). This is the number of semaphores that oracle requested.

>Question. Where can I find info about the default
>values for semmnu, semume, semmns and semmni?

In the installation guide are some default values described but not for 'strange' situation. In my situation I have to run 10 to 15 instances.

>Question. What is the method for determining the optimum values
>for these parameters?

Oracle takes per instance one semaphore map. The kernel parameter for this is (in SVR4: SEMMNI). With SEMMNI on 25 you can get about 20 instances running. Per semaphore map oracle takes one semaphore per process it is running. So 4 for the regular plus the PROCESS variable in the init??.ora. This kernel variable is: SEMMSL (40 is a good choice, at least in my situation) The last variable you've got to change is the system wide nr of semaphores available: SEMMNS (set this as high as posible, approx 500-600, for a lot of instances and a lot of processes).

>Question. Is there anyone out there?

If you read this: YES

I hope you got a few answers on your questions

Peter

Peter van der Kooi		| Telephone: +31 50 855459
PTT Telecom BV			| Telefax  : +31 50 855310
I&AT				| E-mail   : peter%ptt-iat_at_nluug.nl
P.O. Box 188			| DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official
NL-9700 AD Groningen		| statement from, nor does it represent and
The Netherlands			| official position of, PTT Telecom B.V.