Re: SQL*Report

From: Tom Donnelly <tdonnell_at_ncrsoph.Sophia.NCR.COM>
Date: 17 May 93 16:20:55 GMT

In article <1993May12.155116.3421_at_telxon.mis.telxon.com> craign_at_telxon.mis.telxon.com (Craig Nirosky ) writes:
>In article <1993May11.202317.2571_at_news.unomaha.edu> moswald_at_cwis.unomaha.edu (Mike Oswald) writes:
>>Anyone out there still using SQL*Report?
>>
>>I have seen and have my hands on a copy of SQL*Extended Report (RPE)
>>but have yet to use it. Has anyone else tried this product?
>>

>I know of two firms that have products written in Oracle that use RPT
>as their report tool. One of the main reasons they use it is that
>you can update within an RPT program, but SQL*ReportWriter 1.1 cannot
>do this. I am only starting to learn RPT, but I have a feeling that
>RPT may be more powerful than SQL*ReportWriter 1.1. I am curious
>if many Oracle shops are using RPT?
>
>I have not heard of RPE.
>--
> cniro_at_telxon.com Craig Nirosky, MIS Dept.
> (216) 867-3700 x3651 Telxon Corporation
> P.O. Box 5582
> "Hey Buddy, can you paradigm?" Akron, OH 44334-0582

At NCR Europe Group rpt is the standard development tool.

The basic reason is that it is more flexible than ReportWriter and easier to use than a PRO language. SQL*PLUS alone is useless and PL*SQL can not produce output (WOM - Write Only Memory). That leaves rpt. The benefits to rpt is that it is simple and anyone who knows SQL can pick it up fairly quickly, unlike the PRO languages. Unfortunatly, and this is my biggist gripe, is in complex select / update / report programs it does not handle complex loops cleanly, there is no cursor control, and I still haven't figured out if it uses array processing when called from AF (AOL).

Also, its an ugly language.

I find the PRO languages more flexible, but rpt is easier for most people.

These views are my own and do not represent those of my company. No guarantee, implied or other, unless specified by law. Details on back.
Tom Donnelly               | WIN: Tom.Donnelly_at_Sophia
NCR Europe Group ISS       | UUCP: ..ncrcom!ncrsoph!tdonnell
Sophia Antipolis, Valbonne |
France			   | TEL: 33-92 94 45 40