SUN or SGI, which one is more suitable as oracle server?

From: Zhou Jian <zhou_at_igd.fhg.de>
Date: 28 Apr 93 14:47:59 GMT

Hi, Everybody,

We are considering to choose either a Sun Sparc 10 or a SGI Indigo to run as oracle database server. We are planing to use oracle to save large amount of image (maybe several Gbytes) and are developing an integrated archiv system. Intuitively I want to choose SUN since SGI is considered more suitable for graphical application, but I need more arguments to solid my decision and to persuade my boss. Also, which factors should be considered when one choose a workstation as an oracle server? Your opinions are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jian

| Jian Zhou: Fraunhofer-Institute for Computer-Graphics |
| Wilhelminenstrasse 7 |
| W-6100 Darmstadt |
| Germany |
| email: zhou_at_igd.fhg.de Home: +49/6151/312269 |
| Fax: +49/6151/155199 Office: +49/6151/155131 |