SQL*forms, menu and net for MS-windows

From: Andrew Jones (lrpr_at_unb.ca) <LRPR_at_UNB.CA>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1993 19:38:24 GMT

        I was wondering if anyone out there has tried the new SQL*forms, SQL*menu and SQL*net for MS-Windows yet. I am using the DOS versions of these products, with SQL*net for TCP/IP. The TCP/IP is provided by Novell's LAN workplace for DOS, which drives 2 protocol stacks - IPX for a local Novell LAN, and TCP/IP for connection via CISCO router and frame-relay WAN to a UNISYS U6000/65 AT&T Unix database server.

        I can see 2 big advantages in the windows versions of these products. First, memory management problems on the PC may be greatly reduced, since windows memory management is used. Second, a windows font can be used for accented characters (French) which uses ISO Latin 8859-1 standard extended ASCII codes. This is also a standard for the UNISYS box, which means we don't have to translate from a DOS Code Page, with all the headaches that brings.

        I would appreciate any war stories about installation, compatibility, or other issues which might dissuade me from using these products immediately.

P.S. I'm still going through the responses for my postings about clientserver  security issues. Thanks to all who responded; I'll post the synopsis.

                                        Thanks in advance.
                                        Andrew Jones, NB GIC.

  ANDREW JONES (LRPR_at_UNB.CA) Received on Wed Apr 28 1993 - 21:38:24 CEST

Original text of this message