Data Access Language (DAL) and Oracle 6 on VAX/VMS, please help!

From: Henry K. Yu <hyu_at_eng.umd.edu>
Date: 9 Apr 1993 23:24:30 GMT

Problem:

	DAL cannot access Oracle tables which DAL reports they are there.
	I think the problem may be with oracle account name.

Setup:
	VAX/VMS 5.5-2 with DAL Database Adapter 1.3, Oracle 6.0.36.5.0, MacIIfx
	running System 7.  I am aware that a new release can work with Oracle7.
	But, DAL 1.3 should work with Oracle 6.

Diagnosis:
	Using the DAL Debugger on the MacIIfx and keeping a DAL session log
	on the VAX, I was able to record the following information.
	DAL successfully "open oracle dbms;".
	DAL successfully "open oracle database;".
	DAL successfully:
		open oracle dbms as user <un> with password <pw>;
	DAL reports the tables in the database:
		describe tables; for each {print name;}
	output:

_at_OPS$USERNAME@.TABLENAME1
_at_OPS$USERNAME@.TABLENAME2
_at_OPS$USERNAME@.TABLENAME3
_at_OPS$USERNAME@.TABLENAME4
. . . Error: It complains about the tables that it told me are not there!!!

describe columns of _at_OPS$USERNAME@.TABLENAME1; for each {print name;} <Error -10204 (0) table not found in database (_at_OPS$USERNAME@.TABLENAME1)> <Error "network", line 1 : undefined table name in database>

From SQL*Plus, the tables are there and have been granted to PUBLIC. My understanding is that Oracle and DAL qualify each table with its owner in the front, like OWNER.TABLENAME . And since I am using an OPS$ account, Oracle 6 treat each table as OPS$USERNAME.TABLENAME . But, why does DAL surrounds the username with "_at_" ????? And why does DAL complain about the table not being there??? DAL just reported they are there.

Does DAL work with OPS$ accounts at all ??? How should I troublee should this problem? Any idea? Please.

Any help is appreciated. Tremendously.

Regards, and Happy Easter.
Henry Received on Sat Apr 10 1993 - 01:24:30 CEST

Original text of this message