Re: Adding existing term defs to a default resource file

From: Nilo Segura <nilo_at_orion.cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1993 08:43:36 GMT

In article <1993Apr6.030026.12618_at_oracle.us.oracle.com>, wkaufman_at_us.oracle.com (William Kaufman) writes:
> In article <o|$_at_byu.edu> mdb423_at_utah.et.byu.edu (Matthew D. Bennett) writes:
> ]
> ] I have a quick question:
> ]
> ] In the ORA*TERM documentation it makes it sound like the default
> ] resource file for SQL*Forms 3.0 can contain more than a single
> ] terminal definition. Is this true and if so, is there any way of
> ] adding already existing resource files to this single default resource
> ] file without typing everything in by hand?
>
> You can go into the "Modify" menu under "Device", and press either
> "{Insert Record}" to create a new device, or "{Duplicate Record}" to
> copy an existing one. (You can also press "{Delete Record}" to remove
> unwanted terminal definitions, but you should back up your resource
> file, just in case you need it later.)
>
> As you've guessed, it's always easier to duplicate the most-similar
> terminal definition and modify it than it is to write one from scratch.
>
> -- Bill K.
>
> Bill Kaufman, | "Maybetheyhadaridiculousstatementtomakeaboutsomethingt
> Corporate Lackey | heyhadntexperiencedPossiblySamhadadifferentopiniontha
> wkaufman_at_us.oracle.com | tnobodyeverconsideredimportant." -- the Meat Puppets

Right, but I would like to add my 10 cents here. It is true that the oraterm.r file keeps the definition of several terminal-mappings, and you are not interested in some of them, right ? so I advise you to remove the unwanted mappings and keep the one/s you are going to use the most. In doing so, you get some benefits:

 your oraterm.r keeps a manageable size, improving the performance of the  ORACLE*TERMINAL ( specially when you save the file, it will no longer take as  much time as before)

you maintain the original oraterm.r file, and you have specific oraterm.r ( with other names ) files for the terminals you want to use instead of having a big big file.

 Personally I like this idea, but you know, it is a question of personal taste :-)

Hope this will help you...

  Regards!   Received on Tue Apr 06 1993 - 10:43:36 CEST

Original text of this message