Re: Adding existing term defs to a default resource file

From: <mannhart_at_rzu.unizh.ch>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1993 06:54:58 GMT

William Kaufman (wkaufman_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
: In article <o|$_at_byu.edu> mdb423_at_utah.et.byu.edu (Matthew D. Bennett) writes:
: ]
: ] I have a quick question:
: ]
: ] In the ORA*TERM documentation it makes it sound like the default
: ] resource file for SQL*Forms 3.0 can contain more than a single
: ] terminal definition. Is this true and if so, is there any way of
: ] adding already existing resource files to this single default resource
: ] file without typing everything in by hand?

: You can go into the "Modify" menu under "Device", and press either
: "{Insert Record}" to create a new device, or "{Duplicate Record}" to
: copy an existing one. (You can also press "{Delete Record}" to remove
: unwanted terminal definitions, but you should back up your resource
: file, just in case you need it later.)

: As you've guessed, it's always easier to duplicate the most-similar
: terminal definition and modify it than it is to write one from scratch.

: -- Bill K.

: Bill Kaufman, | "Maybetheyhadaridiculousstatementtomakeaboutsomethingt
: Corporate Lackey | heyhadntexperiencedPossiblySamhadadifferentopiniontha
: wkaufman_at_us.oracle.com | tnobodyeverconsideredimportant." -- the Meat Puppets

I know the "Insert/Duplicate Record" Key but how can I copy other resource files into the default resource file? If my default resource file contains the terminal definition for a vt100 and vt220 terminal and I would like to also have the terminal definition for a XTerminal how can I merge the file default.r with the xterm.r file to get a new default.r file containing all the terminal definitions (for a vt100 a vt220 and a XTerminal)? What if I want even more terminal definitions in the default.r file as in an university there are many different terminals. For every terminal I have to start from scratch or copying an existing one and modify, modify,... Come on, I can't believe that.

--
Leo Mannhart
Planning Office