Re: How to delete a database?

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_oracle.COM>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1993 04:25:22 GMT

In article <C3DJ76.FKE_at_spss.com>, brent_at_spss.com (Brent Lambert) writes:
|> I have created an additional database which I now want to remove.
|> What is the proper procedure for doing so?

Short answer below:

Dropping a database is simply done by shutting down that particular instance/database and then deleting the OS files associated with that instance from the database. These file names can be determined before shutting down the database by selecting from the DBA_DATA_FILES view and V$LOGFILE (both accessible from the SYS account). As a precaution, you may want to backup the files belonging to other databases before doing this in case a mistake is made (or my instructions are misintepreted /miswritten :-)).

Once the log files and datafiles have been removed, all that's left is the control file(s). These can be found by looking up the control_files parameter in the init${ORACLE_SID}.ora file (or whatever pfile you have been specifying). If it's not listed, the default controlfile is found under ${ORACLE_HOME}/dbs/cntrl${ORACLE_SID}.dbf.

Once that's been removed, you should be able to recreate you new 'new' database. Note that I assumed the database was not on raw devices.

Hope this helps,

Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation
[DISCLAIMER: This place for sale and the above is solely my opinion] Received on Sat Mar 06 1993 - 05:25:22 CET

Original text of this message