Re: non-DBA FAQ (first cut)

From: Alex Novicky <oracle_at_vostok.marine.su>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 93 18:23:39 +1000

dtb_at_otto (David Bath) in article <dtb.730734663_at_otto> said:

>> 14.  RPT/RPF

>> Ancient tool with ugly syntax still used by some for
>> batch updates where they want portable code and do not
>> want to embed SQL in a language like C, especially
>> before PL/SQL extensions to SQL*Plus became available.
Let me disagree because I believe RPT/RPF is very simple in use and powerful enough to meet all our (and lots of other people) designer's requirements. It's easier to write text file with well readable and
editable SQL and RPT/RPF statments rather than edit SQL*ReportWriter data through complicated menu-driven interface. (Maybe it seems to someone realy ancient but I sometimes like to quikly edit in the same way SQL*Forms *.inp files instead of using IAD tool.)

And we use RPT/RPF tool not only 'for batch updates' but for just writing reports. All our end users have only that kind of data output. And they like it !

I hope Oracle will support excellent RPT/RPF tool in current and further versions and my opinion will contribute in 'is or is not this Oracle product obsolete' argument.

Buy, Alex.

Alex Novicky | Vladivostok | Russia | voice phone (Russia)(4232)266996
====================================+ e-mail : oracle_at_vostok.marine.su