Using Mac's for client/server Oracle application

From: McCurdy M. <mccurdy_at_bestsd.sdsu.edu>
Date: 23 Feb 1993 20:32 PST

Greetings -

Currently, a dept. on campus is running a client parts inventory application on MAC's, served by Oracle running on a VAX 6000-320 in another dept.

The dept. with the client MAC's wants to obtain their own server system so that they can manage everything themselves. A Sun system has been suggested but no Unix system manager is available to them. I am looking at the feasibility of purchasing an Apple system to handle the serving, with ease of management a major consideration. I do Oracle DBA on a VAX as a "hobby" and know that it is time intensive to deal with on VMS or Unix. So ...

I've heard that a new MAC server may be appearing on the market soon, but I'd be interested in any input from folks who are doing this on a fairly large (maybe 100 client MAC systems?) scale. What sort of configuration are you using? Thanks much ...

Mike

Mike McCurdy			Disclaimer:
VAX Systems Management
San Diego State University		"Everything I say may be wrong."
mccurdy_at_bestsd.sdsu.edu Received on Wed Feb 24 1993 - 05:32:00 CET

Original text of this message