Re: Using Mac's for client/server Oracle application

From: Darrell Merrick <enterprise.rdd.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 93 21:56:41 GMT

> I've heard that a new MAC server may be appearing on the market soon, but
> I'd be interested in any input from folks who are doing this on a fairly
> large (maybe 100 client MAC systems?) scale. What sort of configuration are
> you using? Thanks much ...

We've been using Oracle Server for Macintosh for over a year now and it's been working great. Performance has been good - but we only have 26 clients with just a few accessing at any given time. The whole setup is about the same as on other platforms, except you get a few additional graphical front ends to make life easier. We're running off a Mac IIfx with 20M memory. For you, I would recommend getting one of the new Quadra 700s with 20M (or more) memory. One thing to keep in mind: Oracle Server for Macintosh is Oracle version 6 and a version 7 release has not yet been announced. In the past the Mac has been behind the other platforms in terms of Oracle product releases, but Oracle has been putting more emphasis on the Mac lately.

-Darrell Merrick
  Lockheed Artificial Intelligence Center   merrick_at_titan.rdd.lmsc.lockheed.com Received on Wed Feb 24 1993 - 22:56:41 CET

Original text of this message