Re: Oracle logging and recovery

From: Kent Palm <kpalm_at_doc.qualcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1993 20:35:17 GMT

GO.MSB_at_isumvs.iastate.edu writes:

>Why not! ??? Isn't that why the tablespace is put in backup mode--to
>get a snapshot of it. The redo logs, which are being continually archived,
>are then used to "roll forward" any pending transactions.

I think Joel was talking about o/s level backups without using the BEGIN BACKUP...END BACKUP commands. This is known as a cold or offline backup.

>My question is: can a tablespace in backup mode still be updated (by the
>DBMS), or is it frozen for the duration of the backup operation?

Yes, it can still be updated. No, it is not frozen.

>Am I missing something here? We are just setting up such an operation
>and hope that hot backups with possibly mirrored redo logs will provide
>adequate protection (DEC 5000/240 server running ULTRIX).

>Marvin Beck Iowa State University

The IOUG Proceedings ('90, '91, and '92) have good information on online backups. If you can, it would be wise to have someone knowledgeable to check your work. The whole backup / recovery process could fail if you make just one dumb mistake during the backup process. Received on Fri Feb 05 1993 - 21:35:17 CET

Original text of this message