Re: Mac Client/Server

From: Bailey Bob <p228_at_uni05.larc.nasa.gov>
Date: 5 Feb 1993 17:05:09 GMT

In article <83210_at_hydra.gatech.EDU> ken.boff_at_business.gatech.edu (Ken Boff) writes:
>We're trying to set up a prototype configuration with a Macintosh
>as a client and a SUN as the server. Does anyone know what Oracle
>software is required on the Mac? Presumably, I need SQL*Net, but
>I'm not sure what else is required on the Mac.

There are several options for the Mac. Depending on what you prefer as a development tool, you might consider one or more of the following:

	SQL*Forms for the Mac
	Oracle*Card
	4D Oracle

Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

	SQL*Forms 3.0 is portable across almost every platform but, it is
	not fully Mac-like in its GUI implementation.

	Oracle*Card is very slick and provides full GUI support including
	bit-mapped graphics.  It is based on Hypercard.  Currently it is
	only available for the Mac and PCs.

	4D Oracle is also very slick with full GUI support including
	data graphing support.  Currently it is only available for the Mac.

If you can wait a few months, SQL*Forms 4.0 promises to be a more formidible contender in the GUI arena with graphics and multimedia support. With full integration with Oracle CASE, excellent portability, and other nice features, SQL*Forms 4.0 may just be the best all around choice (IMHO). The last I heard, it should be available sometime very late this year (4th Qtr 93) for the Mac. It is supposed to be available for other platforms sometime mid-year.

SQL*Net is needed for all of the above products.

Bob Bailey (p228_at_uni05.larc.nasa.gov) Paramax/Unisys Received on Fri Feb 05 1993 - 18:05:09 CET

Original text of this message