Re: Oracle logging and recovery

From: <GO.MSB_at_isumvs.iastate.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1993 15:11:54 GMT

In article <DPVgyB1w165w_at_netlink.cts.com>, tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry) writes:
>soley_at_trop32.enet.dec.com (Norm Soley - Global Village Idiot) writes:
>> It's not clear here whether your system manager is backing up files
>> while the database is shut down. File backups of database files on a live
>> database are not possible except in combination with archive log mode.
>
>Of course they are possible. They are just not recommended! You have to
>back up ALL files at the same time. Then restore ALL the files at the
>same time (otherwise you may get into a situation where the control file
>is out of date, and the documentation is even wronger than usual).
>Think of it - if that weren't the case, you would never be able to bring
>oracle back up after a system crash. The important thing is to not have
>transactions occur during the backup.
>--
>INTERNET: tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry)

Why not! ??? Isn't that why the tablespace is put in backup mode--to get a snapshot of it. The redo logs, which are being continually archived, are then used to "roll forward" any pending transactions.

My question is: can a tablespace in backup mode still be updated (by the DBMS), or is it frozen for the duration of the backup operation?

Am I missing something here? We are just setting up such an operation and hope that hot backups with possibly mirrored redo logs will provide adequate protection (DEC 5000/240 server running ULTRIX).

Marvin Beck Iowa State University Received on Fri Feb 05 1993 - 16:11:54 CET

Original text of this message