Re: Windows and Oracle access.

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1993 05:28:24 GMT

In article <y5ZqXB2w165w_at_netlink.cts.com> tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry) writes:
>skanga_at_us.oracle.com (Shiraz Kanga) writes:

>I just saw a demo of Reportwriter 2.0. It was really cool. I think they
>said it should be out by May. The neat thing is, you can use the
>executables on any machine. Apparantly they use some sort of virtual
>machine. I can't imagine that it would be the most efficient on all
>machines, but that's portability for you. It's like a combination of
>.inp and .frm files.
>
>--
>INTERNET: tumidity_at_netlink.cts.com (Joel Garry)
>UUCP: ...!ryptyde!netlink!tumidity
>NetLink Online Communications * Public Access in San Diego, CA (619) 453-1115

I'm not sure if you meant to say 'executable' above. I can say for sure that none of the Oracle executables is designed in that fashion. What you meant to say was that the files produced by SRW are portable across platforms. You can simply transfer a file between UNIX/PC/MAC and it will load/run without any modification. Also, you could save it to the RDBMS and retrieve it from another version of SRW on another platform(I have done both of these myself so I know it works).
SRW will have 3 file formats(.rdf-binary format w/source, .rex-ascii format w/source and .rep-binary format w/runtime only).

--
| Keith Majkut                                             |kmajkut_at_netcom.com|