RE: MULTIPLE LIST OF VALUES

From: <champs_at_hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 12 Jan 93 18:57:49 +1100

Hi there

In answer to you question about multiple list of values

Your best bet is to use a multi-record block that LOOKS like a list of values. You can even have it come up when they press <FIND> (or whatever they press to get a list of values, just use a KEY-LISTVAL trigger on the start field to direct them to the multi-record block. You might want to include a flag field in the multi-record block to mark which records they have chosen, then whenever they enter the block you can ensure flagged records are highlighted.

To use these multiple values in a subsequent query, create a field in an invisible utility block to store ALL of their picks simultaneously. Then in a PRE-QUERY trigger on the appropriate block, scan through your multi-record block looking for flagged values and appending them to the field in the utility block. You'll have to put a , and some "" around each value as you append them (you'll have to play around to find the right number of "" to put around each value so that some make it through the next step). Now, still in the PRE-QUERY trigger, you assign the contents of your utility field to the field you wish to test something like this

   :BLOCK_A.FIELD_I_WANT_TO_TEST
        := '# IN (' || :UTILITY_BLOCK.SELECTION_LIST || ')'; Now you can see where you'll have to play with the "" to get the number right. Rest assured, THIS WILL WORK. I've done it myself. I just can't remember which form I did it in, so I can't look it up. Perservere and you shall be rewarded (I sure felt good when I got it to work).

Hope this helps.
Bye for now

    /\       Steven Champness (champs_at_hhcs.gov.au)
   /  \      Dept Health Housing and Community Services
  /    \     Brisbane Queensland
 /      \     via

/ / \ Canberra Australia
\ / / /
 \/ / / / MACINTOSH SOFTWARE AXIOM : If you need a manual to operate it
  \/ / /                                it wasn't designed properly in the
   \/ /                                 first place !