ORACLE or Informix on NCR 3550?

From: Kevin Herrboldt <kevin_at_mpls911.uucp>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1993 01:15:42 GMT

We're running 3B2's with ORACLE v6.0.30.3.1. We are migrating our application to NCR 3550's for speed and capacity reasons. We use the database for real-time logging of events as they happen in a public safety environment, as well as retrieval of recent events. Our data (~500MB) is completely cycled in six weeks, which means we're constantly deleting data in large (~100MB) increments.

We had planned to move to Informix, because we are extremely unhappy with the memory/disk management of ORACLE. ORACLE is amazingly capable of recovering from a system crash, but that's about the only nice thing I'm willing to say about it. We know a lot of our problems are due to the 'frozen' version of ORACLE on the 3B2's.

Our software vendor has made staying with ORACLE very attractive, but I dislike it as an administrator. I don't know if Informix is any better, so I'm looking for performance as the deciding factor. We do not need to support the 3B2's once we're operational on the NCR 3550's.

So all hype aside, how does ORACLE (v6? v7?) compare with Informix?

--
Kevin Herrboldt                                                 kevin_at_mpls911
Minneapolis Emergency Communications Center         ...!mishima!mpls911!kevin