Re: VISUAL BASIC AND QELIB

From: Richard Holowczak <holowczk_at_rwja.umdnj.edu>
Date: 5 Jan 93 22:59:20 GMT

In <524.204.uupcb_at_sqlware.uunet.UU.NET> joe.bartling_at_sqlware.uunet.UU.NET (Joe Bartling) writes:

>I have been using Visual Basic under MS-Windows and connecting to ORACLE
>using QELib from Pioneer Software which connects to Oracle via SQL*Net.
>The biggest problem is that I can't connect to a local DOS ORACLE
>database (only client-server). Other than waiting for Pioneer to come
>out supporting local an Oracle DOS database, are there any other
>solutions given my front-end of Visual Basic? Has anyone heard of
>Microsoft Access? Will that help?

  The problem is that a local DOS Oracle database uses its own memory   management scheme (SQLPME) which conflicts with Windws running in Enhanced   mode. If you have enough memory, you can load the Oracle database, then   run Windows and connect using the "S:" connect string. The "S:" stands   for single tasking. I have done this using Oracle Card and MS Excel using   the Q+E version which comes with Excel 4.0.

Rich Holowczak                       holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University
Ph.D. Computers and Information Systems Program
|  For best results, squeeze .sig from the bottom   | Ask about the |
|           and flatten as you go up.               | car alarm FAQ |