Windows DLL to access Unix Oracle/Sybase?

From: Bruce Cottman <bhc_at_dirac.i-kinetics.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1992 14:42:30 GMT

This is a posting that appeared in comp.databases.sybase which is being crossposted here. It may be of interest to anyone who is needs high performance and large data transfer from Unix DBMSs to MS Windows applications.

> |>Two thing :
> |>
> |>1. your Windows apps must know how to use those DLL function
> |>2. you need a TCP/IP package to run under window, available options are
> |> FTP's PC/TCP and Wollogong's product.(thats what I know).
> |>

 > --
 > 	And then purchase the NetLibs DLL fom SyBase, Best also buy the
 > 	DBlibs DLL to get the most current version. The DBlib DLL from
 > 	MicroSoft SQL_Server (and netlib 'named pipes') may not work with
 > 	SyBase servers 4.2 and above...

Alternatively, we (I-Kinetics) offer a product called the I-Bridge, which avoids all of this. Given a TCP/IP driver on a PC, I-Bridge will translate DDE to TCP/IP. It also manages sessions between Oracle and Sybase Servers located on Unix boxes. This capability includes translation of native DBMS formats into popular MS Windows applications formats (XlTable, ASCII Text, etc.). For those that interested, I can e-mail (or mail) you a White Paper on the I-Bridge, upon your request.

Dr. Bruce H. Cottman
I-Kinetics, Inc.
19 Bishop Allen Drive
Cambridge, MA 02139
Voice: (617) 661-8181
Fax: (617) 661-8625
Internet: bhc_at_i-kinetics.com
UUNET: uunet!dirac!bhc Received on Thu Dec 03 1992 - 15:42:30 CET

Original text of this message