Re: Exporting through a pipe to Compress

From: Andy Finkenstadt <andy_at_homebase.vistachrome.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1992 00:04:55 GMT

bob_at_iowegia.uucp (Bob Powers) writes:
>About 1-2 months ago some posted a message telling how to export
>through a named pipe into compress to compress the export on the
>fly. I have lost that copy and would appreciate it if anyone
>having a copy or the original poster to send me a copy.
> Bob Powers
> bob_at_ia-ngnet.army.mil

From memory - I run this nightly at 3am to back up a 2 gigabyte database into a 90meg archive file in about 2 hours. (The system this is on is apart right now, I'm replacing the Disk controller board.)

#!/bin/sh
# exportit
#   export full Oracle system
#

day=`date %+D`

cd /oracle/backups/full
rm -f pipe.dmp
mknod pipe.dmp p

# assuming default ULIMIT is set to Oracle maximum, or prepend with 'osh '

# overwrite backups on a weekly basis. Files will be called # Full.Mon.Z and Full.Tue.Z, etc.
compress <pipe.dmp >Full.$day.Z &

# export as system(any DBA will do) full export, retrieve buffer 500K
# through the pipe, compress data extents into 1, export all grants,
# indexes, and constraints, and export all table data
exp userid=system/manager full=y buffer=512000 file=pipe.dmp \
	compress=y grants=y indexes=y rows=y constraints=y

#echo "Compressed export is done."
exit $?

--
Andrew Finkenstadt, Vista-Chrome, Inc., Homes & Land Publishing Corporation
GEnie Unix RoundTable Manager, andy_at_vistachrome.com, andy_at_genie.geis.com.