Modeling active databases

From: Asterio Tanaka <tanaka_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1992 17:40:11 GMT

I am doing research/development on modeling and design of "active databases", i.e., databases with rules or triggers.

I would like to hear from database designers and application developers using "active DBMSs" like Sybase, Ingres, Interbase, RDB, Oracle 7, if you are using the full functionality of these features.

  • If yes, how you model and analyze/validate the behavior associated with rules and triggers.
  • If not, why you are not using them.

In any case, I would like to know how useful would be a database design methodology and tools that take advantage of these features in early stages, i.e., at conceptual schema (e.g. ER schema) design.

I will post summaries to the newsgroups if worthy.

Thanks in advance.

  • Asterio Tanaka (tanaka_at_cc.gatech.edu)