Re: Oracle 7 Info Request

From: Hari Seldon psychohistorian <bill_at_chaos.cs.umn.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1992 16:40:23 GMT

In <1992Sep22.150352.5505_at_spss.com> brent_at_spss.com (Brent Lambert) writes:

>The following questions are intended to help me gather info on which I
>can base a recommendation about how soon we need to support Oracle 7.
>My immediate interest is in the IBM RS6000/AIX platform, but I have a
>longer term interest in other platforms, as well. In the questions
>below, I use the word 'migration' to mean bringing an Oracle 6
>production database and associated applications on line for normal use
>under Oracle 7.

>Has your organization already completed a migration? If so, how long
>did it take, in person-weeks?

version 7 is still beta for aix. so technically most users will not be able to answer this question. we are running || 6.0.34 and 7.0.? i forget.

>If your organization has begun or is planning a migration, how long do
>you expect it to take? When do you expect to start? Finish?

be prepared for people to not really know what you want. i.e just get it running or pull the code and optimise for stored procedures, etc.

>For the rest of you, when do you think you'll order or receive
>production Oracle 7? Do you have any time-frame in which migration
>must take place?

as above it's got to be released first.

>Do you use SQL*Net? What protocol?

tcp/ip at this client. decnet at another.

>If you respond, and you or your company are an SPSS customer, please
>indicate so in your response.

no we are not, we are using idl for analysis and display.

>Please feel free to add other information which you think would be helpful.

bill pociengel

--
llbi locgeenpi " i'm a little confused right now"