Oracle 7 Info Request

From: Brent Lambert <brent_at_spss.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1992 15:03:52 GMT

If you're reading the comp.unix.aix group and don't work with Oracle, you should stop reading now, because the rest of the article will waste your time.

I made a very foolish mistake, and I'm hoping Oracle users can help me. I ignored the various Oracle 7 discussions I've seen here, and foolishly assumed that our Marketing department would gather information and decide what versions of Oracle the upcoming release of our product would support. As you can probably guess, they didn't. Now I've been asked for a recommendation and I have to gather the data.

So. Please bear with me and please email me (brent_at_spss.com) if you can provide any information related to the questions below. If you have nothing to contribute, thank you for taking the time to read this far. If you're interested in the results I get, please don't send email . . . I promise to summarize to the net.

The following questions are intended to help me gather info on which I can base a recommendation about how soon we need to support Oracle 7. My immediate interest is in the IBM RS6000/AIX platform, but I have a longer term interest in other platforms, as well. In the questions below, I use the word 'migration' to mean bringing an Oracle 6 production database and associated applications on line for normal use under Oracle 7.

Has your organization already completed a migration? If so, how long did it take, in person-weeks?

If your organization has begun or is planning a migration, how long do you expect it to take? When do you expect to start? Finish?

For the rest of you, when do you think you'll order or receive production Oracle 7? Do you have any time-frame in which migration must take place?

Do you use SQL*Net? What protocol?

If you respond, and you or your company are an SPSS customer, please indicate so in your response.

Please feel free to add other information which you think would be helpful.

--
The above statements are not the opinions or policies of SPSS Inc.
The above statements may not be the opinions of Brent Lambert.