Re: FAQ? Defining a query page against multiple field/multiple table

From: <dlm_at_hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: 30 Jul 92 23:18:45 CST

lwv26_at_cas.org (Larry W. Virden) writes:
> 2. Assume a situation like this (not my specific, but this hopefully
> will serve to illustrate):
>
> Application - Sql Forms 3.0 based time card entry.
> Block 1:
> Name Employee number
> Department (Current Date - a non-table field)
> Block 2:
> Multiple occurances of:
> Activity description Number of hours this week.
> Block 3:
> A column of total hours to date for each of the above activities.
> Goal, not only to permit entry of the above information, but to allow
> the user to query against any combination of Name, Employee number,
> Activity description and total hours.

a view of the underlying tables is the easiest way to query once and see results in all 3 blocks. to modify the view, try writing ON-INSERT, ON-UPDATE, and ON-DELETE trigs in each block. do the DML yourself on the appropriate table using the fields from the block you're in. this short-circuits form's invalid attempt to DML the view. select (and hide) the primary key or rowid in each table's block so you will be able to access the rows in these triggers. email me if you need more info.

--
Dave Mausner, Senior Consultant / Datalogics Inc / Chicago IL / 312-266-4450
dlm_at_dlogics.com                                 Motto: Just show me the code