FAQ? Defining a query page against multiple field/multiple table

From: Larry W. Virden <lwv26_at_cas.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1992 13:19:34 GMT

  1. I have never seen a comprehensive FAQ posted to this group - is one available?
  2. Assume a situation like this (not my specific, but this hopefully will serve to illustrate):

Application - Sql Forms 3.0 based time card entry.

Page consists of 3 blocks, each against a different table.

Block 1:

	Name	Employee number
	Department	(Current Date - a non-table field)

Block 2:
	Multiple occurances of:

	Activity description	Number of hours this week.

Block 3:
	A column of total hours to date for each of the above activities.

Goal, not only to permit entry of the above information, but to allow the user to query against any combination of Name, Employee number, Activity description and total hours.

Where does one start to permit the above query? The problem is that I do NOT want to say things like "search for either what the user keyed or %" for each of the fields. The reason is that it just takes too long for the query to work.

I would also rather not, if I can find a way around it, write a series of 24 if statements based on each possible combination of fields being filled in.

Any good ideas?

--
Larry W. Virden			UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lvirden
Same Mbox: BITNET: lvirden_at_cas  INET: lvirden_at_cas.org