Re: Multiple Screens in SQEL*FORMS

From: Neil Greene <deepthought!neil_at_ms.uky.edu>
Date: 24 Jul 92 14:29:32 GMT

In article <1992Jul24.083034.1_at_cc.helsinki.fi> jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi writes:
> In article <j1gmxq-.sjs_at_netcom.com>, sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
> > I am new to Oracle and I am working in an application that requires 3
> > seperate screens that are related to each other only in the sense that
> > they are part of an all encompassing application. There are no data
> > relationships between them. I am not sure if I should create 3 seperate
> > forms or 1 form with seperate pages. Note that each screen has a master
> > detail relationship. I have set something up that uses just 1 form with
> > each logical screen on a different page. Then I will set up a menu to call
> > specific pages.
> >
> > Am I doi ng this the best way? Would it be better to make seperate forms?
> Well, if they are logically separate, keep them physically separate too!
>
> > I do NOT want to have to exit all the way back to the OS and then call
 runforms
> > again just to switch to another screen. What I am worried about are
 potential
> What's wrong with calling separate runforms? Of course starting a new
> process takes a while, and stopping and starting a fresh runform clears
> your GLOBAL variables. But you can use runform which is linked into
> runmenu (version 5.0), so that the menu and all subsequent runforms run
> IN THE SAME PROCESS and retain GLOBALs. Or you can create a dummy form
> which calls other forms.
>
> > problems that I might run into and have to program around by putting each
> > screen on a different page of the same form.
> If you want to switch screens very quickly, a single form might be
> optimal. Make an experiment!

> > Steve Schow | But you don't have to use the claw, if you
> > sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw......
> > | Have I given you a clue......?
> > | - Baloo the Bear
> --
> Juhani Jaakola
> jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi

In the issue of linking sql*menu and sql*forms, I just cannot get this to happen yet. I have tried reinstalling, recompiling and all with no success. I don't mind the extra processes, but sure would like to link the two applications.

I am running oracle v6.x.x.x, sqlforms 3.0, sqlmenu 5.0 on a NeXTcube (bsd 4.3 unix).

--
Neil Greene
ARCI, Inc.