Re: Multiple Screens in SQEL*FORMS

From: <jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi>
Date: 24 Jul 92 06:30:34 GMT

In article <j1gmxq-.sjs_at_netcom.com>, sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
> I am new to Oracle and I am working in an application that requires 3
> seperate screens that are related to each other only in the sense that
> they are part of an all encompassing application. There are no data
> relationships between them. I am not sure if I should create 3 seperate
> forms or 1 form with seperate pages. Note that each screen has a master
> detail relationship. I have set something up that uses just 1 form with
> each logical screen on a different page. Then I will set up a menu to call
> specific pages.
>
> Am I doi ng this the best way? Would it be better to make seperate forms?
Well, if they are logically separate, keep them physically separate too!

> I do NOT want to have to exit all the way back to the OS and then call runforms
> again just to switch to another screen. What I am worried about are potential
What's wrong with calling separate runforms? Of course starting a new process takes a while, and stopping and starting a fresh runform clears your GLOBAL variables. But you can use runform which is linked into runmenu (version 5.0), so that the menu and all subsequent runforms run IN THE SAME PROCESS and retain GLOBALs. Or you can create a dummy form which calls other forms.

> problems that I might run into and have to program around by putting each
> screen on a different page of the same form.
If you want to switch screens very quickly, a single form might be optimal. Make an experiment!

> Steve Schow | But you don't have to use the claw, if you
> sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw......
> | Have I given you a clue......?
> | - Baloo the Bear

Juhani Jaakola
jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi