Re: Using Views for BLOCKS?

From: <jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi>
Date: 24 Jul 92 06:37:10 GMT

In article <m1gmq8-.sjs_at_netcom.com>, sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
> I have heard that SQL*FORMS performance is a little better if I create a
> view of a table and then base the form block on the view instead of
> directly on the table.
>
> Anyone have any experience to know if this is true or not?
If you have an one-to-one view from a single table, this is not true. But if you have a base table and you must join data from several other tables (i.e. you have and POST-QUERY trigger or POST-CHANGE triggers), you can join the data in the view and avoid calling several SQL statements for each fetched record during a query. This is very important in client-server environments, particularly when clients are PCs.

> ALSO,
>
> What if I created a view with a join and based a form on that view as
> if it was just one table. Would I be able to update records and would
If the view is updatable, yes (see the manual on views).

> Oracle automatically update both the master and the detail records in the
> actual tables?
If the view fetches from many tables, the view most certainly is not updatable. You have to make your own ON-LOCK and ON-UPDATE/DELETE/INSERT triggers.

--
Juhani Jaakola
jaakola_at_cc.helsinki.fi