Re: SQL-plus

From: Robert Klemme <>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:37:17 +0100
Message-ID: <>

On 02.03.2009 22:56, Tim wrote:

> ddf wrote:
>> On Mar 2, 3:09 pm, Tim <> wrote:
>>> Michael Austin wrote:
>>>> Tim wrote:

>>>>> Michael Austin wrote:
>>>>>> Tim wrote:
>>>>>>> Robert Klemme wrote:
>>>>>>>> On 01.03.2009 23:38, Tim wrote:
>>>>>>>>> Michael Austin wrote:
>>>>>>>>>> Tim wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>> Michael Austin wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>> Tim wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Why do I get different types of interfaces when I install
>>>>>>>>>>>>> different versions of Oracle?
>>>>>>>>>>>>> I just installed a version of 10g, personal edition and the
>>>>>>>>>>>>> interface for SQL-plus is just a windows command prompt.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Other times, with different versions, there were actual
>>>>>>>>>>>>> applications that had buttons for executing statements or
>>>>>>>>>>>>> retrieving statements.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Why is there such a difference in this feature?
>>>>>>>>>>>> So, are you looking for something like Oracle SQLDeveloper?  It
>>>>>>>>>>>> is a different product.
>>>>>>>>>>>> That is also why they have XE, PE, SE and EE.. they bundle
>>>>>>>>>>>> different stuff together...
>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks. But other versions of Oracle had a version of SQL*Plus
>>>>>>>>>>> that was a Windows version with a UI.
>>>>>>>>>> sqlplusw != sqlplus
>>>>>>>>> Well OK, although I think it was referred to as such. Is there any
>>>>>>>>> way I can get a sqlplusw.exe for my version of Oracle 10g?
>>>>>>>> I'd rather not want to.  The Windows application is flawed.  The
>>>>>>>> command line version is much better, for example, it has command
>>>>>>>> history.  Just forget this Windows thing.  I am hearing, Oracle
>>>>>>>> removed it in 11g anyway.
>>>>>>>> Just my 0.02EUR
>>>>>>>>     robert
>>>>>>> Well thanks for your advice but, since no one else has convinced me
>>>>>>> to prefer command line tools, I think I will continue to use the UI
>>>>>>> based one. It is much better.
>>>>>> real DBAs don't GUI.... :)
>>>>>> but if you must, download Oracle's SQLDeveloper (also works with DB2
>>>>>> and  SQL Server) - I also have used DBVizualizer (free download)

>>>>> I'm not a DBA, I am a developer. And I don't have the memory to
>>>>> remember all of the commands for Oracle, and all of the other things I
>>>>> have to know to develop J2EE applications.
>>>>> If that is your main focus, you can remember it because you are using
>>>>> it every day. I am using Javascript, JSP, Java, Hibernate, JDBC, etc.
>>>> remember it all???  I still use google - after many many years as a dba
>>>> -- I take the Einstien approach - try not to remember anything I can
>>>> look up...
>>> Try going into an interview and say that.- Hide quoted text -
>> I have.  Your point?
>> David Fitzjarrell
> Well, I find if I go into an interview and can't answer questions, they 
> assume I don't know it. And some questions are ridiculous, like what 
> folder is this information kept in.

Then you know that you probably do not want to work for this company. Anybody with only minimal understanding of Oracle knows that - since it's a complex product with a lengthy version history - it is unrealistic to expect applicants to know every detail off the top of their heads.

If instead they try to find out how you approach things then you can never be properly prepared by trying to know every detail. Instead, you should be more concerned about how you tackle new issues that pop up in front of you - because that's what you'll have to do most of the time anyway.

My 0.02 EUR

        robert Received on Tue Mar 03 2009 - 08:37:17 CET

Original text of this message