Re: Newbie questions

From: Paul <>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 15:16:29 +0100

"Paul" <> wrote in message
> >What operating system?
> I am using windows xp
> I have managed to use Netmanager in my client 9i installation, to create a
> "Service naming" I have called "testme" to the database. This checks out
> ok when I add the correct id and pw.
> However when I try to TSNPING testme it errors "failed to recognise name".
> I have also added SQLDeveloper, which is allowing the connection using the
> TSN name, but when I connect it tells me that only 9x and above are
> supported, and whilst it then builds the db structure, it does not hold
> any tables views etc.
> I am not sure at the moment what version the oracle db is I am connecting
> too.
> Still needing any advice please.

Found the sqlnet.ori was configured to the domain I use, but the oracle db is not on that domain.

I #d out the domain and that has allowed the connection to be TNSPINGed ok

It also looks like I have no visibility of tables within the db, but I can see tables in "Other Users" so I have connection with SQLDeveloper using the TNS configuration.

I am remembering now why we decided to use MS SQL 10 years ago. Received on Tue Apr 08 2008 - 09:16:29 CDT

Original text of this message