Newbie questions

From: Paul <>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:08:52 +0100

I am completely new to Oracle after 10 years of using MS SQl, and I am struggling with the basics.

I need to collect data from an Oracle database, and I have had access to the oracle database set up
I have the following information, with obvious bits changed.

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxxx.xx.xx.147)(PORT = 1521))

I also have the user id and pw

I have installed oracle client 9i, but the SQL+ asks for a host string??

I have also tried to configure a connection using the "Network Configuration Assistant" by adding a Oracle Names Servers. But having added this it doesn't seem to work, and I cant edit or delete it.

Any help would be appreciated. Received on Tue Apr 08 2008 - 04:08:52 CDT

Original text of this message