Re: Toad is locking table in oracle

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:17:25 +0100

Shakespeare wrote:
> "Walt" <walt_askier_at_SHOESyahoo.com> schreef in bericht

>> shakespeare wrote:
>>> "zino" <antony6670_at_gmail.com> schreef in bericht
[Quoted] >>>> We just got Toad 9.xxx.

>>> Put Toad in read only query mode, or better: don't use Toad at all. It's
>>> famous for locking tables.
>> I've used TOAD for years, and never had a problem with locking tables.
>> (Yeah, it'll lock tables if you issue a select for update, or update
>> without committing, or do DDL, but that's all expected.)
>>
>> Something weird is going on.  Not sure what, but out of the box there's no
>> locking for a simple select.
>>
>> //Walt

> But browsing a table and clicking on an entry in the result grid will....
> even if you don't edit at all.
> I have seen several customer sites where TOAD was absolutely forbidden for
> this behaviour. Sure, it's not the tool, but how you use it..... I used Toad
> for years without any complaints.
> It's the 'until this user's statement is finished' that worries me most....
>
> Shakespeare

Somewhere there's an option to use it read-only, or use separate threads (will still lock - just to indicate there's more than one option to look at)

[Quoted] Take a look at PL/SQL Developer of AllroundAutomations. Better tool for developers (less obvious DBA stuff :) ), better support for new Oracle versions, supports unicode (ever seen russian job descriptions in the famous EMP table, or chinese column names?!?).

And... it's a hell of a lot cheaper than TOAD! Current prices: US$6k for an *unlimited* licence - TOAD will give you about a single user license with no plugins for that!

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...