Re: Importing .XLS

From: Joel <johowar1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 19:15:23 -0000

Just an FYI - I decided to take a closer at the SQL Server SSIS today after I was given a spreadsheet with over 250 columns and over 20,000 rows. There is a "Suggest Types" button in the import and export wizard. It determines the appropriate field type and the appropriate size for each field based on the data being imported. One limitation I found is that it will only scan 10,000 rows when determining this information. This causes errors when the string data in a column is at the bottom of the spreadsheet and the tool never scans it, so it believes it's a numeric field; at least it's a start though. Finding this feature in SQL Server saved me hours of manual work. Why does SQL Server have this feature but Oracle specific tools dont? Received on Thu Oct 11 2007 - 21:15:23 CEST

Original text of this message