Re: Importing .XLS

From: pamela fluente <pamelafluente_at_libero.it>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 13:16:35 -0700

On 4 Ott, 21:04, Joel <johow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have a spreadsheet with "Column Headers" (which become field
> names in Oracle) such as "Wtd Avg Variable O & M Costs $/MWh" I'd like
> it to convert that to "Wtd_Avg_Variable_O_M_Costs_MWh". Any after
> determining the field type for a given field, why can't the tool go
> through the data and determine the length of each string in that
> field. Then determine the max string length for that field. Use that
> max as the length of the field. Use similar methods for numeric
> fields. Once these things have been done, all I need is the create
> table SQL statement... the rest is easy.

Ah Ok. Not a good idea to use those chars in header (field) names. [Quoted] Anyway they can be easily renamed.

If you want to determine the **exact** maximum string lenghts for every
"field", there is also a data scanner which will tell you such values.

[Quoted] The following procedure is **only** to determine such maxima. Then, you can use
these value to substitute the default values in "Table setup" for the export to DBMS:

QuickExport > ExportToTextFile> ExportOptions > SpacedColumns > ScanDataToDetermineSizes

Keep note of the field sizes and may, if you think it's meaningful, use those values to compute the appropriate field sizes in the CREATE TABLE statement (keep into account possible encoding settings to determine the
appropriate value).

-P Received on Thu Oct 04 2007 - 22:16:35 CEST

Original text of this message