Re: suggestions for good graphical DB query builder

From: Martijn Tonies <m.tonies_at_upscene.removethis.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 21:26:40 +0200

> > I was not suggesting the tool should be free
>
> Why not? What is the cost of Linux? Or OpenOffice? Or Oracle's
> SQL*Developer? or APEX?

There's free and there's free.

:-)

I, for one, am quite involved in the Firebird Project, the database engine.

Some people would say it comes for free, I, on the other hand, would say it comes "for free" to a lot, but comes at a cost to some (that includes sponsorships to pay developers, people who devote spare time to it and much more).

So "What is the cost of Linux?" ... I honestly don't know, but given the (more recent?) number of companies that contribute either time and manpower or money, it costs quite a lot, even though it "comes for free".

And hey, I donated to OpenOffice :-)

--
Martijn Tonies
Database Workbench - development tool for Oracle, and more!