Re: suggestions for good graphical DB query builder

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:37:05 -0700

[Quoted] >> David Segall wrote:
>>> carol_marra_at_msn.com wrote:

[Quoted] [Quoted] >>>> We're doing a product comparison for graphical query builders. Would
> [...]
[Quoted] >>>> your input on what you like (or don't).

>>> Microsoft Access?
[Quoted] >> I can't think of a worse tool.

>> The last thing Oracle needs is to be connected to an insecure (ODBC)
>> tool that could potentially be used to alter data

> In that case you need to secure the Oracle database since almost
> everybody has Access on their desktop.
>> and in which you
>> couln't write a decent SQL statement more complex than SELECT *
>>FROM t;.

> There are limits to the SQL that can be composed using the graphical
> query builder but I doubt if anybody who would deign to use a
> graphical tool would reach them. If by "decent" you are referring to
> the generated SQL I have no way of comparing it to your other
> contenders. I confess that I have felt the need to simplify Access
> generated SQL when I have used it in a program that somebody else
> might have to modify.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Referring to the fact that the following query would be impossible to write:

WITH w AS (

   SELECT person_id
   FROM person
   WHERE per_fmw = 'Y')
SELECT per_h_email
FROM person p, w
WHERE p.person_id = w.person_id
AND p.per_ok2_email = 'A'
AND p.per_h_email IS NOT NULL
UNION
SELECT po_w_email
FROM poie o, w
WHERE o.person_id = w.person_id
AND o.po_status = 'A'
[Quoted] AND o.po_w_email IS NOT NULL;

[Quoted] [Quoted] I would write dozens of other basic statements impossible to duplicate in MS Excess.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington