Re: suggestions for good graphical DB query builder

From: David Segall <david_at_address.invalid>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 13:57:21 GMT

[Quoted] DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:

>David Segall wrote:
>> carol_marra_at_msn.com wrote:
>>
>>> We're doing a product comparison for graphical query builders. Would
>>> appreciate
>>> your input on what you like (or don't).
>>>
>>> We're an Oracle shop, but we need connectivity w/ any ODBC compliant
>>> DB.
>>> Also need query result export options (esp Excel), pivot capability,
>>> printable results,
>>> Windows compliant.
>> Microsoft Access?
>
>I can't think of a worse tool.
>
>The last thing Oracle needs is to be connected to an insecure (ODBC)
>tool that could potentially be used to alter data
In that case you need to secure the Oracle database since almost [Quoted] everybody has Access on their desktop.
> and in which you
>couln't write a decent SQL statement more complex than SELECT *
>FROM t;.
There are limits to the SQL that can be composed using the graphical [Quoted] query builder but I doubt if anybody who would deign to use a graphical tool would reach them. If by "decent" you are referring to the generated SQL I have no way of comparing it to your other contenders. I confess that I have felt the need to simplify Access generated SQL when I have used it in a program that somebody else might have to modify. Received on Wed Sep 19 2007 - 15:57:21 CEST

Original text of this message