Re: "ORA-xxxxx" error's description?

From: Wazusa Blong <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:57:33 -0700

On Jun 13, 10:33 am, Brian Peasland <d..._at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
> sunshine wrote:
> > Hi folks,
>
> > I am working on oracle 9i on windows xp system.
> > while executing queries in SQL interpreter (oracle SQL* plus) i get
> > error messages
> > starting with ' ORA-XXXXX: ' .many times i can not understand the
> > errors because of limited description.
>
> > I got the detailed description on net _at_http://www.cs.uvm.edu/oracle9doc/nav/error_search.htm
> > but i want to know -
> > Is there any help tool that get installed with oracle 9i in the
> > system
> > which wud give me detailed description about error on specifying the
> > error code(ORA-XXXX) without internet connection??
>
> > if yes, tell me path of that help tool.
>
> > regards.
>
> If you are on Unix/Linux, Oracle includes the 'oerr' utility. I'm not
> sure why they do not include this on Windows. Otherwise, you can use the
> Oracle documentation:
>
> http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96525/t...
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> --
>
> Brian Peasland
> d..._at_nospam.peasland.nethttp://www.peasland.net
>
> Remove the "nospam." from the email address to email me.
>
> "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good.
> Now pick two out of the three" - Unknown
>
> --

It's not included on Windows because:

  1. It's a shell script
  2. It uses sed and awk to parse the message file, utilities not installed on Windows

The java option I posted does a good job of emulating the oerr shell script functionality.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Jun 13 2007 - 18:57:33 CEST

Original text of this message