Re: oracle 10g installation - access not permitted?

From: Charles T. Smith <cts.private_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:05:05 +0200

[Quoted] On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 06:41:17 -0700, sybrandb wrote:

> On Jun 4, 3:17 pm, "Charles T. Smith" <cts.priv..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > Most likely you just either didn't read the installation instructions
>> > at all and/or didn't follow them up to the letter.
>>
>> Yes, that's most likely. The question is, which installation
>> instructions? As I switched back and forth between the 4 different ones
>> I downloaded from the webpage (two different ones each for normal and
>> quick installs) - trying to find the various instructions that best fit
>> my situation, it might very well be that I overlooked something.
>>
>> I was hoping somebody would be able to recognize quickly what it was...
>>
>> > ... Normal server
>> > installations don't need an extra client. PERIOD
>> >... On normal server
>> > installations anyone can connect to Oracle, provided a) the setuid bit
>> > of several executables has been set
>>
>> The setuid bit doesn't help if the directory in which sqlplus resides is
>> not accessible.
>>
>> > b) $ORACLE_HOME/bin is in your $PATH
>>
>> I can't even use an absolute pathname.
>>
>> > c) you have access to a tnsnames.ora
>>
>> yes.
>>
>> So, there's a bug in this assertion, at any rate ... ;)- Hide quoted
>> text -

> No.
> You just didn't follow the installation instructions, or you followed your
> own interpretation of the installation instructions or you read secondary
> documents written by people who have a screwed install. Just follow the
> documentation to the letter, make sure everything is in the dba group
> (oinstall is just plain wrong), and fix protections.
>
> And please stop whining and complaining about things you don't like and/or
> willfully misinterpret.

[Quoted] [Quoted] :) Okay, I'll stop whining. Bo ho. And willfully misinterpreting, in order to needless consume network bandwidth. And even try to keep the provocations to a minumum - but the assertion - your assertion - has a bug in it:

>> >... On normal server
>> > installations anyone can connect to Oracle, provided a) the setuid bit
>> > of several executables has been set
>> > b) $ORACLE_HOME/bin is in your $PATH
>> > c) you have access to a tnsnames.ora

[Quoted] [Quoted] Oh, okay, you've got a caveat there with "normal server installations" - I could never prove that one, I guess. (and actually, I appreciate knowing that *anyone can connect to Oracle*, so your contribution wasn't worthless ... assuming it's a statement of fact and not a statement of faith).

[Quoted] In any case, if you don't have a clue, then you don't really have to answer. No sense getting hysterical. Somebody else might know. But thanks for the moral guidance, at any rate.